Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chinese Hot Pot Party!

I went to a Hot Pot Party on Friday. And no, it's not like it sounds. I don't think Snoop Lion (so ridiculous that he's going by Snoop Lion now, BTW) has ever been to one of these things. That said, he would definitely enjoy one after engaging in his own version of the celebration. A Hot Pot party is a Chinese feast like I've never experienced before. It's almost like fondue. You have a ton of raw ingredients which you then cook in a simmering pot of spicy broth, before nom-noming vigorously. WARNING: CHOP STICKS ARE REQUIRED, SO IF YOU SUCK ON CHOPSTICKS YOU WILL BE RIDICULED.


This is another awesome cultural experience that can be attributed to my dear friend Fang Du. This guy hooks it up if you're looking for a unique chance to step into another world for a few hours. Fang had been wanting to host a Hot Pot party for some time, and I was one of the lucky few who snagged an invite to this special event. When I walked in, he was hard at work cutting up pieces of seafood, tofu and vegetables. Bottles of exotic sesame pastes, chili and ash oils, leek flower purees and tons of other sh*t that I didn't recognize, lined the mantle overlooking his kitchen. I noticed a pot with a divider simmering patiently on the stove. Raw cuts of thinly sliced meets like beef and lamb looked up at me so eagerly almost faning the words, "PUT MEH IN YO MAUF!"


 Fang "instructed" us on how to make our sauces. He handed us each a small soup bowl. "I like mine with a little bit of everything," Fang explained. Considering I knew what maybe 25% of the jars contained, I just went to town and decided to go heavy on the chili oil, because 1.) I at least recognized that ingredient, and 2.) I like my my mouth to tingle like scorpions are playing twister on my tongue. I topped my saucey concoction with a generous sprinkling of diced scallions and cilantro. I dipped one chopstick in the sauce, and SUCCESS. THIS SH*T IS HELLA GOOD.


When it was finally time to sit down, we ignited a freestanding burner and filled that bad boy up with butane. The lovely broth that had been simmering on the stove was transported to the center of the table like a tantalizing centerpiece full of magic and opportunity. And then it was time to go cray.

Apparently this tradition originated in Mongolia before meandering its way through Southern China, and then finally permeated the whole country with yummy, soupy goodness. Fang explained that Hot Pots has been around for centuries and the traditional fare to cook in the hot pot was mainly lamb. These used to sit upon charcoal pits. They were huge cauldrons used to cook the days' kill.

 Nowaday's people simmer just about anything they damn well please in those pots. Cuttlefish and Shrimp Balls swam happily across the top of the pot. Little did they know they were about to be consumed with great fervor. Fang explained the etiquette - "You can throw stuff in there, but don't steal other peoples' hot pot ingredients." That's right he was watching us. If he threw three shrimp in there, you better leave Fang's three shrimp the eff alone. It was every man for himself at first. And on more than one occasion a piece of flounder escaped from the grips of the chopstick and took an attempt at deep sea diving, while we all eagerly tried to fish it out, to no avail. Overcooked flounder = sad face. But there were few casualties, considering.


After a bit, Fang decided we were pros and it was a full on Hot Pot free for all. Chopsticks crossed paths like they were at an E Harmony mixer event and we ate until our hearts content and then some. I loved the way the hinoki mushrooms cooked in a flash and had that almost seaweed like consistency that I love so well. The lamb was succulent and went from raw to medium in eight seconds flat after taking a dip in the broth pool. The spicy peanut sauce complemented every ingredient without overpowering the essence of the food. Every meat, veggie and soy bi-product on the table had it's time to shine. The tofu, oh god the tofu. The way it absorbed the spicy stock and held up its firmness in the midst of treacherous, boiling waters. Watercress, Bok Choy, Napa Cabbage, holy hell all of this was delicious and as each ingredient entered the pot, the broth only becomes more complex and succulent. BOOM. What a meal, dude. But seriously the rice vermicelli can go screw itself, it soaked up all of my sauce.

WARNING: There are no plates so you will have no way to gauge the amount of food you have consumed so you will gorge yourself like a fatass. Also, Sake is a hell of a drink.


It was unanimous; we all agreed this was a baller idea. I would legit, pay good money to do this again. I hear there are fantastic hot pot restaurants out in Flushing, but now that I've had the experience in a good friend's home, I ask myself, "Does it get much better than this?" He says he's having a dumpling making party next. What did I do to deserve a friend like this?


(First spread and friend photo compliments of Kate Costanzo i.e. Mass Text Hater Extraordinaire)

No comments:

Post a Comment