Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cheap Eats Chicago Edition - Hot Doug's

If I hadn't stayed with locals, chances are, I never would have had the pleasure of experiencing this place. This favorite is a hidden gem, located far off the beaten path in the outskirts of the Logan Square neighborhood. But when I asked "What's the one place I need to go to while I'm here?" both my friend +Emily Walker and +De Blenniss said, "YOU HAVE TO GO TO HOT DOUG'S!"

Hot Doug's, The Sausage Store and Encased Meet Emporium, is run by Doug Sohn, a super cool dude that makes it a point to have a warm conversation with every customer that walks through his door. No, seriously. Despite the fact that the line for his restaurant wrapped clear around the block, he still wanted to dish when I told him I was from Astoria. Turns out he is originally a New Yorker too, and he loves talking to folks about their lives in the big city. As we continued to chat, I could feel myself getting ancy, afraid that the people behind would yell something like, "HURRY IT UP WHYDONCHA?!" but then I remembered I was in Chicago, and not in the city where dreams go to die. And apparently, this is just common place so people know when they come to Doug's, not only are they getting a stellar meal, but they are also engaging in an interesting conversation. You gotta effin love that.


So yeah, right off the bat, I'm feeling super welcome in this joint. And the place is as casual and homey as you can get. Chicago memorabilia and celebrity pics adorn the walls. The color scheme is like a preschool wonderland, not the least bit intimidating, and all-American as hell. As you approach the order counter, the menu is on the righthand wall. Colorful hot dog signs give descriptions of the dogs and specialty sausages Doug has in house that day. They all have kitchy names and descriptions like "The Anna Kendrick" Fire Dog: Mighty Hot! ($3.00) or the "Paul Kelly" Soaked in Beer - Sort of like Paul ($3.50). A mounted jackelope holds a "Game of the Week" sign so you know the special dog that Doug is slinging on any given day. You have the option of getting your dogs steamed, grilled or deep fried, and not a single one of the dogs or sausages breaks the bank. THIS PLACE IS FUN AND I LOVE IT ALREADY.

After chatting with Doug for a while, we finally put in our order. I was feeling indecisive, but I knew that I was hungry so I went for one of their big specialty sausages, The Smoked Chipotle Chicken Sausage ($7.50) with Chipotle dijonnaise and Habanero-Pepperjack Cheese chunks. Nom Nom.


 De went with The Bacon Cheeseburger Beef Sausage ($8.00) topped with Coca-Cola BBQ sauce, carmelized onions, bacon and maple-smoked cheddar cheese and a classic Chicago Dog with all the fixins' ($2.00). There are all kinds of extras you can add for free too - onions, sauerkraut, sport peppers, pickles, etc. Something tells me this guys wouldn't even yell at you if you asked for ketchup. Hot damn, I was excited! We decided to share a large order of Cheese Fries ($3.00) and we both got large fountain drinks, because well we pretty much had too. After a delightful exchange, Doug says, "Let's do $20 and we're square." HE HOOKED US UP! I love him, and I hardly know him. Chicago, you guys are seriously so lucky. DON'T EFF THIS UP.



I handed him a $20 (it's cash only) and we retreated to our window side bar stools so we could watch the world pass us by while we chowed down. The food came out about four minutes later, and a server dropped it off for us. The first bite was heavenly. The casing of the chicken sausage popped and the hot juices were just perfect. I loved the dijonnaise sauce. This was so zesty and spicy, and it worked really well with the meat. I think I would have preferred if the cheese had been shredded rather than chunked, because sometimes it was just too much cheese in one bite, but seriously, am I complaining about cheese? Tell me to shut the eff up. The cheese fries (more cheese) were salty and ooey gooey without being overpowering.


De agreed that his cheeseburger sausage was off the chain, and he kept saying he really wanted to bring his girlfriend +Piper Robbins here, because even though she's a vegetarian, he's sure she'll love The Joe Strummer Meatless - and Delicious! ($3.00). Piper, girl, seriously get over there. The experience of meeting Doug alone is well worth the trip and there's no way that's a bad dog.

MY ONE REGRET: Not going back on Friday or Saturday to try the Duck Fat Fries. I'll have to save that journey for next time.

So, take that Wiener's Circle! You don't have to be huge dicks to get blocks that lineup clear around the block. In fact you can be a super nice dude with a business so hot that you can close your doors at 4 PM and call it a day. Man, this guy has it down! Doug, your warm demeanor and genuine attitude warmed my heart and your product is hella quality. I will certainly be back, and you can count on that!

THE DAMAGE: $20 (with the Dougy Discount) + $2 in the tip jar.

That. is. baller.

No comments:

Post a Comment