Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chic Eats - Coffee Shop

I've passed the neon pink lights at the corner of Union Square many times while thinking, "Man, I think I need to try that place." When I told my friend Rachel that I'd never been to Coffee Shop she responded, "What the F@&$? But, you're a NEW YORKER!" I realized it was time to change that. Lucky for me, Rachel and her friend Leah were hungry at the time, so we decided to pop over for dinner.

I had been on set all day for a low-budget film which basically meant I was grazing on non-union hummus. In other words, I was real hungry. I needed some legit grub to satiate my tumbo (that's my new thing, I call the stomach a tumbo, because that's a funny ass word). When we walked into the restaurant I was immediately into the vibe. First of all, they had an awesome soundtrack, I think I heard some Passion Pit and Fleet Foxes playing during our meal, so they get points for that. It's got this great upscale diner aesthetic - booth sitting, but low lighting, candles, super model waitresses and big mirrors behind the bar. And OMG the menu says that they are open 23 hours! How have I not stumbled into this place after a night on the LES?

I was craving the veggies, so I settled on a Greek Salad with Falafel ($13.95) and it had been a long day, so I got a Caipiroska (a Brazilian specialty with crushed limes, vodka and sugar) to go along with it ($12). I'll say right off that this place is pricey for the portions that they dole out. I understand that you are paying for the place (Rachel and Leah explained that this is a hot spot that you see in a lot of movies and TV), but still this salad was pretty average sized. However, what it lacked in size, it made up for in flavor. This thing was mega yum. It was perfectly dressed with just the right amount of Feta and Kalamata olives. Pepperoncinis sat on top - they know the way to my heart. The Falafel was soft and warm, and the yogurt sauce that dripped across the top of my little fried chick pea mounds (sounds dirty) was bomb as hell. I would definitely order this again. Rachel was also a fan and said she was so pleased by my salad that she made a huge one for Super Bowl Sunday. A dinner that is both satisfying and inspiring is hard to find.



Rachel settled on the Salmon Entree with Butternut Squash puree and Brussels Sprouts ($18.95). She got a little assy when the Brussels Sprouts came out as a shredded garnish instead of in their natural state, but she said the fish was fine. She kept saying, "I wish I had ordered that salad" which was awesome because I KNEW I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE AND WAS THE WINNER OF THE NIGHT. I tried the salmon and while it was well-cooked, it lacked seasoning. I didn't try it with the butternut squash though, which could have taken it to the next level. I'm not sure that I would have wanted to pay the nearly $20 for it.


Leah ordered the Coconut Crusted Shrimp ($10.95) which is her Coffee Shop go to, and a side of the Kale ($5). These were the dishes that I didn't try. The shrimp came with a nice looking oil based dipping sauce, and the Kale was sauteed in oil and garlic. Leah said both were great. You can see her Moscow Mule hanging out in the back too.


We had a good time here, but I can't say the whole experience blew my mind either. My salad was definitely tasty, but for the price, I feel like I could find something comparable somewhere else. I'm glad that I finally tried Coffee Shop though, after three years of passing it with curiosity, and for a night I could feel like an NYU student who just received their residual check and wanted to be fancy. I'd pop back in for a bite, but it would probably have to be 2 AM, and I'd probably need to be smashed ( . . . I'm just being honest.)

THE DAMAGE: Between $37 - $48 each (including tax and tip.)

No comments:

Post a Comment