Monday, February 25, 2013

Chic Eats - Roberta's

My shoot wrapped early last Saturday, which meant I was stranded in Brooklyn. What better plans could be laid on this rainy day than to mosey over to Bushwick for an afternoon of artisanal brick oven pizza, local brews and hipster snark? Lars and Emily were shooting a different project in the area, and finished up around the same time, so they agreed to meet me at Roberta's around 2:30 PM. Surprise, surprise: we were actually able to obtain a table for three without a wait. This is extremely rare because this place is hella hoppin' at most hours. For realz, hipsters and boring folk (hipster perception of normal people) alike bombard this rustic pizza tavern as though they are serving gold flakes in their chili oil. Not the case, but baller pizza none the less.


I do love Roberta's, and believe me, this doesn't make me special. The first time I went, I waited three hours for a table. It was my mistake for coming on a Friday night without a reservation. The good news is, during the summer they have a great outdoor bar area with a decent local beer selection where you can hang out while waiting to nosh on slightly overpriced pie. The bad news is, if it's winter you're effed and huddled up in the front of the restaurant or in the bar area taking up space and/or pissing folks off.

This place can seem pricey, but there are a few important things to remember. They are a sustainable restaurant in that they use local ingredients and grow most of their herbs and veggies on the roof. They have a reputation for providing a killer atmosphere and tasty, unique grub. And I've always experienced above satisfactory service. The folks here are nice (even if they dress like muppets) and the pizza comes out hella fast. I assume this is to make up for the fact that you probably waited 9 million hours to get a table.

I was hungry, because that's what shooting music videos for mediocre pop stars does to me. We decided on the Romaine ($11) to start. This was a perfectly dressed salad with the right amount of freshly shaved Pecorino cheese, candied walnuts and Caesar dressing atop crisp baby romaine leaves. We were off to a nice, crunchy start. Emily exclaimed, "I could SWIM IN THIS DRESSING!" (Note: Swimming in Caesar dressing is not recommended by Roberta's or any Roberta's affiliates and is the sole opinion of one Emily Althaus.)


For pizza, we went with a classic Margherita ($12) and The Good Girl ($16) (just so you know, I'm talking about the pizza not the movie starring Jennifer Aniston opposite Jake Gyllenhall. That was actually a pretty good movie. Did anyone else see it? Definitely her finest acting. John C. Reilly was great in that too! But, I digress). The Margherita wasn't crazy or unique, but it was a very well done pie with a nice smattering of bright San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. This one did it for Lars. He can sometimes be a purist with his pizza. I enjoyed it, but at a place like Roberta's I'm usually eager to try something funky.


And that's where "The Good Girl" comes in FTW. A sauce-less pie topped with house made sausage, charred kale and sprinkles of taleggio cheese. I loved the flavor and texture of this pie. The kale has baked to a lovely crispy consistency and goes so well with the sharp bite of the cheese and the savory sausage. So yummy, so fun and Emily took this opportunity to try her hand (pun intended) at hand modeling. You'll be able to say you knew her back when!


After a couple of pitchers of Bronx Brewery Pale Ale ($16), it was time to hit the road. I have to say had the pitchers of beer not been in play, this one would have qualified as a cheap eat. A little goes a long way here, oh and they take CC now, so have no fear if you're amidst a cashless crew! Overall, Roberta's offered a lovely pitstop on a busy Saturday. Next, Lars and myself were off to the Frigid Festival to support our buds Karim and Carrie in their super fun circus show The Vindlevoss Family Circus Spectacular! (WHICH YOU SHOULD GO SEE!).

THE DAMAGE:  around $30 per person with tax and tip! Not bad.


Also these happened:


No comments:

Post a Comment