Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bands to Watch - WALK THE MOON

This weekend has been baller as hell. It started with a great show on Friday night. I went to see Cincinnati rockers Walk the Moon on Friday Night at Music Hall of Williamsburg with my buddy Rachel. These guys took down the effin' house.


Seriously, the energy that they brought to Music Hall of Williamsburg (or Williamshall of Musicburg as I mistakenly called it after a few glasses) was unbelievable. They played through their entire premiere album, I Want! I Want! and went on to introduce us to some of their new tunes off their Tightrope EP. Highlights for me were definitely when they played my new fave song (of the moment) Tightrope (video below) and when they closed out the night with Anna Sun before coming back for a more than generous encore. Below is a little snippet of Tete A Tete. (That awful squaking in the background is my tipsy self trying to sing along to words I barely know. You're welcome.)


I would have loved to hear that tantalizing new cover of Burning Down the House that they released on Spotify, but no worries because me and Rachel just sang it the whole way home. We decided it was our duty to give Brooklyn that performance in lieu of Friday's headliners. I have to say, we put that red wine to good use.


Walk the Moon's sound is so cool and eclectic. So fun without being pretentious. I adore seeing artists who love being on stage (this is a follow-up to my blog from earlier this week). These guys were having so much fun, and Nicholas Petricca (who I've lovingly been referring to as "The Mayor of Bonertown" because dayum he's adorbs) sounds just as good on stage as he does in the studio. Very satisfying . . . VERY SATISFYING! And now I feel like such a dope because I didn't realize that they were from Cincy! Turns out I'd even met some of them back at the Fringe in 2010. Here is my favorite moment of realization:

me: Did you realize you're friends with the singer of Walk the Moon on FB?
10:55 AM God he is so fooiiinnneeeee





11:09 AM Karim: !  He took a clown workshop I taught at fringe.   So yeah, that happened, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment