Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Cheap Eats - The Queens Kickshaw

Did I mention that I effin' love cheese? Well, if you didn't get it from the URL of this blog, I do! In fact my love is so true, I can't believe that I hadn't visited The Queens Kickshaw before now. This place is a yummy, gooey wonderland where dairy-laden dreams come true! Love seeing places like this popping up in Astoria . . .


The Queens Kickshaw specializes in a number of unique gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Sure, you might think it's the kitsch that gets them the business. Well throw those thoughts away - this place is quality. From the fresh, local ingredients that go into each of the sandwiches, to the extensive list of micro brews, and the perfectly brewed fair trade coffee, there is something here for everyone.

And I do mean EVERYONE. I came tonight with my friend Brian who unfortunately has issues of the lactose variety. Lucky for him, the Wild Mushroom Shepherd's Pie with a toasty cauliflower mash totally hit the spot for him, and the dude doesn't even like mushrooms. That's impressive.


But let's talk about the real star of the night - my Gouda Grilled Cheese. I have to say, I was a little tentative to order this one because I can sometimes be a purist. Like seriously, if you put pineapple on my pizza you are in for a shit storm. I don't know what made me jump for the Gouda grilled cheese even after seeing "guava jam" listed as an ingredient, but it's 2013, so f*ck it. Well, this 'wich was so bomb, off-the-chain yummy. Gouda cheese, black bean hummus, guava jam and pickled jalapenos piled high on perfectly toasted brioche - Oh yes, I will be back. This came with a side salad drizzled with a tasty jalapeno vinaigrette. My girl Caroline Sweet would have been all about this meal. Girl, we're totes goin' next time you're back in the city.


I finished up the meal with a bite of my buddy Lou's Fontina Cheesecake. It was salty and had the perfect level of sweetness. Definitely a great recommendation compliments of our lovely waitress.


And the moment you've been waiting for - though first I have to give mad props to a restaurant that asked if we wanted our check together or separate. I know this does not seem like a big deal, BUT THIS NEVER HAPPENS IN THE CITY, EVER. So good on you.

THE DAMAGE:


No comments:

Post a Comment