Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cheap Eats - Artichoke Pizza

I know what you're thinking. "WHAT THE EFF? SHE HAS LIVED IN NYC FOR THREE EFFIN' YEARS AND NEVER HAD ARTICHOKE PIZZA?" Look, I'm the worst. Also, I fell pray to the free pizza (albeit sh*tty) across the street at Crocodile Lounge. Well I decided to lose the ol' v-card this past weekend and headed over to Artichoke Pizza on MacDougal in the West Village before heading to the Yelp Elite Holiday Hangover event on the Hudson (yeah, that's right, I'm Elite b*tch).

This place is pretty bare bones. Much smaller than the newly expanded East Village location. I was pleased to see an homage to a holiday favorite before pulling myself up to the pizza window and doing what I came here to do.


I ordered the original artichoke slice, because I pretty much had to. I'm not usually a fan of white pizza, but I wanted to eat this Artichoke Heart (#ThomYorke). The first thing I noticed was the thickness of this pizza. I've gotten so used to the light load of the New York slice. Well this piece was hearty, and I was pretty damn into it.


The level of garlic and salt on their slices was pretty perfect too. I have to say, it was one of the more balanced pieces of pizza I'd had in a while. Overall, a nice bite, especially for the price. I'd like to try one of their more traditional slices. I'm still not sold on the whole white pizza thing, but I'd definitely recommend Artichoke to anyone looking for a quick and tasty nugget of New York in the East or West Village. It was also quite filling, so there's that.


THE DAMAGE: $4.75. It might sound expensive when you can grab a 99 cent slice around the corner, but you get what you pay for, and this place was pretty legit. It's also a staple of Hipster NYC, so just try it already. You're not a real New Yorker until you do. It's true. I heard some guy say that on the street once. He was wearing a Smiths T-Shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment