Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cheap Eats - Karczma

Last night proved to be another cultural adventure that fits in perfectly for my Cheap Eats series, and holy sh*t was it dope. I decided to venture out to Greenpoint to meet my friend Sean for dinner at the local Polish joint, Karczma. We've been talking about getting together forever, but you know how it goes in New York. Brooklynites and Queenspeeps are WORLDS apart, or at least it feels that way the most of the time. Well, I wasn't going to let the boroughs of our fates keep up apart any longer. I headed toward the dreaded G train, determined to make it happen.

We arrived at Karczma which is conveniently located right off of the Greenpoint G stop on Greepoint Ave. As soon as we stepped in, I totally dug the vibe. The interior has large wooden tables and other rustic features. It's made to look like the inside of a Polish farmhouse complete with a watering well. All of the waitresses were in traditional Polish wear, eastern European beer on tap, it was meat and potato time, fools.


We were told there would be a 25 minute wait (this place was packed at 7:30 on a Saturday night) so we grabbed two stools at the bar and ordered a couple of Heffeweizens. Wait, are you serious? The half liter beers are only $5.50? This had cray written all over it.

We were seated soon after and began to peruse the menu. The first thing I noticed is that the prices were VERY reasonable, cheap even. Some of the specials were in the $15-$20 range but all of the platters and sandwiches were $12 and under, and judging by the portions I saw on other eaters' plates, this was going to be a full on feedbag situation.

I started with the "Pickle Soup" for $3.50. I knew it would be too much food for me to eat with everything else I was ordering, but I just had to try it. I LOVE PICKLES, and this was in SOUP FORM? WTF. This came out in probably two minutes, and the bowl was huge! It was hot, creamy and whoa, it really tasted a hell of a lot like pickles. I couldn't tell if there were actual pickles in the broth but I could see all of the dill and pickling spices. It was so sour and salty. I could eat this stuff everyday. And I mean that.


Both Sean and I decided to order the Plate of Polish Specialties ($11.50). I figured this would give me a good overview of traditional Polish fare. I was delighted to read the list and realize that many of the foods were ones that I used to eat at home all of the time as a kid. I'm sure this comes from the Italian side of my family where my Nona was huge on making European style dishes. The plates included a piece of kielbasa (a smokey, cured sausage grilled to perfection), two big fried potato pancakes, three pierogies (chewy dough pockets filled with meat/cheese/mushrooms then lightly fried on the outside), hunter's stew (a thick, savory beef and cabbage stew) and a big cabbage leaf stuff with ground pork, rice and spices topped with tomato and basil sauce (tasty, but still not as good as my Dad's). Wow, though. Everything was absolutely delicious. So hot and filling - really perfect for a cold winter night. I had to box up most of the stuffed cabbage and the potato pancakes as I was stuffed. I also had to leave room for a few more of those brewskis.


Other notable events of the night - I went outside to bum a cigarette at the bar across the street. A Polish man named Muirek handed me a cigarette then attempted to kiss me on the lips and give me a $20. I refused the money and he told me he was in love with me. Later during my dinner he wandered in and saw me with Sean. This must have upset him as he flipped him the bird and then stormed out of the restaurant. Laughter ensues. I am a heart breaker. Sean was confused.


After several more beers - it was time to go (and hit up The Mark Bar where we would start an Earth, Wind and Fire dance party. Did I dance on a Ski Ball Machine? Yes. Can you blame me? No.) I would definitely come back. It was well worth the money and Lars was thrilled to eat my leftovers. He said "WOW. YOU HAVE TO TAKE ME THERE!" and take him there I shall. Until next time, Karczma.

And oh yeah - THE DAMAGE:


No comments:

Post a Comment